Sunday, February 24, 2008

Of nosey neighbours ...

They really get me pissed off..it's good to be concerned about your neighbour..but it's not at all good to spy on 'em..and it's not difficult to find out if your neighbour is really concerned about you or is just really tryin to be nosey..

My work requires me to stay in another state..so i share a flat with a roomate or rather used to..she recently got married and my hunt for a new roomie is on..we used to stay in another society earlier, then moved to a current one..in both the places, we never really interacted with our neighbours..blame it on our jobs..5 days a week we're busy at work..saturday sunday is packed with weekend duties..cleanup, cooking, catching up with friends or the most important part of the weekend schedule---sleeping...as such, we hardly spoke to our neighbours...

But it so happened that one fine day, we spoke to the aunty next door and from then on, it's been a different story all together..i guess we could partly push the blame on the fact that women at home are free, once their done with their daily routine of cooking and cleaning..and most women have maids who come and help them or do most of the house work..that leaves ample time for our next door aunties to kill...and if at all it happens that aunty has no friends around or nothin better to do, she starts pryin on your activities..after all it keeps her busy enough..and she has juicy newsbits for her friends at the kitty party or when she meets up with the other women in the society..i don't know the extent to which the facts are modified just to make the gossip more interesting..but i very much loathe the idea of keeping a tab on what the neighbour does..i have my freedom and would choose to do what i wish and what i think is right...but no, aunty dear is very concerned if i come in late..she keeps wondering why the house is locked early morning and why she doesn't see me or my roomie at home until late evening..

Aunty dear it's simple...and the simple explanation is -- my work requires me to reach office early, and sometimes it does get late to get home, due to work or due to conveyance...and in the evening it's a trip to the supermarket to get fresh veggies or any groceries required to cook up the dinner.. But even if i was partyin and ended up late at night, how does it matter? and even if you spot me with a guy who actually comes to drop me home and ensure that i reach safely, why would you always assume it's my boyfriend?

It would be so much better if people would just stick to minding their own business...i'd stick to a hi, bye sort of relationship with my neighbour..and once in a while, it doesn't hurt to spend a few minutes just enquiring about general well-being..but that's it..it's good to know your neighbour and be good to each other..but it's no way good to let your inquisitive nature force you on to the spying business..puts me off totally..if you are genuinely concerned about me, i'd appreciate it..but i'd hate you tracking everything i do and recording the time i leave home and get back..lady, my life is not all about cooking for the day and ensuring that my house is spick and span..i have my job to go to....and i'd really appreciate you finding some other constructive activity, to keep you busy and away from the tracking business..that would surely do you and me an equal amount of good...

No comments: